CO DETECTORS NOW REQUIRED
From Issue: Volume XX - Number 26
The Long Beach Fire Department would like to remind the community about the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act SB-183 requires that a carbon monoxide (CO) device be installed in all dwelling units intended for human occupancy. The effective date for Multi-family dwelling units such as apartments, having fossil fuel burning appliances and/or attached garages, is Jan. 1, 2013.
On July 1, 2011, SB-183 went into effect for a single-family dwelling having fossil fuel burning appliances and/or attached garages. It will go into effect for hotels and motels having fossil fuel burning appliances and/or attached garages on Jan. 1, 2016.
CO is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced from heaters, fireplaces, furnaces and many types of appliances and cooking devices. The only way to detect the poisonous and potentially fatal gas is with a detector. According to the State Fire Marshal’s Office, CO claims the lives of an average of 480 people and sends more than 20,000 people to emergency rooms across the nation. The best way for homeowners to stay protected from carbon monoxide is to have a CO detector installed on every floor and outside each sleeping area.
The California Office of the State Fire Marshal cited a recent study that found nearly nine in 10 California households do not have a CO detector. Many consumers are likely unaware of the need to have their homes equipped and many may need to remind their landlords to act.
Owners or landlords of multi-family leased or rental dwellings, such as apartment buildings, are required to comply with the law and are responsible for installation For tenants whose units do not have a CO detector, now is the time to follow up with landlords by requesting one. Failure to equip a property with CO detectors puts families in danger and is a violation of state law that is punishable by a maximum fine of $200 for each offense.
CO detectors do not take the place of smoke detectors; you must have both to fully protect occupants.
Submitted by the LB Fire Department